Well. she is my special needs child and she is 15 years old. Developmentally she is around a 5 year old. I learned a lot through the course of study with her. I learned she is capable of memorization. She memorized three of the scripture masteries, now I know this is not a huge accomplishment for most, but for her this was big as I wasn't sure she would be able to memorize any of them.
Her understanding is hard to gauge as she often gives the classic response of "Jesus" as an answer.
Daily study was another challenge. as I work at a nursing home on weekends and she would typically go to her grandparents 40 minutes away for the entire weekend and come home Monday morning just in time for school. So we would only have Tuesday to Friday mornings for study.
For the most part this worked great. I would get her up as soon as her brother was off to school-his bus came about an hour before hers- and as she got dressed I would begin reading the lesson for the day. I would ask questions throughout but again not sure she was understanding. We would try to then practice the scripture mastery. Then she would practice her piano lessons and then off to school.
I realized near the end of the year I was supposed to be reading not just the scripture part of the lesson with her but also the manual lesson with her. so once I realized this we also read this as well.
Things I learned:
- 1.Nikita is willing to do this-which if she isn't willing to do, there is no way it is going to happen
- 2. Nikita can memorize
- 3. I need to find a way to record the answers to the questions for her teacher to review-I think I will do audio recordings and pass in weekly.
- 4.I need to start with prayer and a song or hymn.-my singing is horrendous and my kids have often asked me to stop- so this will be a challenge
- 5. Nikita like object lessons to reinforce the doctrine taught- searching online resources for help with this, and why I am starting this blog- perhaps it will help someone else with similar challenges.
I am sure I have learned more including so much doctrine I am amazed that I hadn't learned previously in my 20 some years at church.
So if you are looking to enrich seminary for your child, whether special needs or not, check out this blog for tips I have used to improve Nikita's seminary experience.
Feeling Blessed,
Tammy
No comments:
Post a Comment